How Injustice 2 uses slight tricks to make user stay in the game for longer hours and also squeeze more ARPU
For every product manager it’s important to understand human psychology to predict/ nudge their product’s user behavior. So, let’s find out about the game Injustice 2 mobile and how they use psychology to derive most revenue out of their users.
- Injustice 2 mobile is mobile video game featuring comic book characters from DC Comics
- The game has around 10 million downloads on Play store.
- These games play an important role in keeping comic book readers and movie watchers engaged when they keep working on other products
- Injustice 2 itself is a self-sufficient business as it compels users to pay for in game resources which helps them to progress in the game.
PSYCHOLOGICAL TRICKS INVOLVED
- The developers of Injustice 2 push the users to buy in game currencies so that they can advance in the game pretty quickly
- They have created few features/ modes which compels users to stay more time on the game
BASIC GAME DETAILS
- This is a PvP(player vs player) game
- Each player has to 3 heroes and using them defeat the opponent heroes
- Heroes can be obtained either by collecting their shards or by purchasing them.
- There are classes of heroes (Might, Agility, Tech, Arcane(Magic etc)
- Each hero has his unique abilities, gears, talents and levels which can be collected, upgraded or both.
- In game currencies help in achieving them by defeating other players or wining events
- The game has different modes where rules of playing are different
VARIOUS GAME MODES
- Campaign: Complete levels by defeating the bosses
- Champions Arena: Defeat other players and rank in top 10 of an arena to progress to better arena. Better the arena better the rewards.
- Solo Raid event: Defeat bosses to earn rewards
- Arena: Only single arena. Rank higher to more earn hero shards
- Credits — used for basic transactions
- Power Gems — used for advanced transactions
- Arena Medals — earned in the Arena and used to purchase certain hero shards and gear
- League Credits — earned in Raids and League Missions and used to purchase certain hero shards and gear, as well as Xp Capsules
- Stamina — consumed for challenge battles (upon winning), as well as campaign battles and Resource missions (upon entering)
- Orbs — earned in Raids and used to upgrade hero star rating to 6
- Gear Material
- Gear Reforge
PSYCHOLOGICAL INSIGHTS USED IN THE APP
That’s it for today. Hope you like this psychology teardown of a game. There are probably more tricks in this game but that’s for another day.
Please do comment your thoughts. This is a small project that I did while I was completing a course at Upraised. For any queries please DM me on twitter.